Thursday, November 12, 2009

Consideration

I know it has been a few weeks since I last posted something to my blog. I have been spending all of my days and time writing in preparation of the first manuscript delivery due date-which is now! I am still writing and feel very much like I am in the final 7 miles of a marathon. Speaking of the marathon, some of you may be curious to know that I completed my very first marathon (Marine Corp Marathon) last month. It was an exhilarating experience as I ran with 30,000 runners some of which were marines dressed in full gear.

I just finished a chapter in my book on the importance of consideration in the workplace. Consideration refers to giving careful thought to a person or idea. People demonstrate consideration toward others through their words, decisions and actions, and differ considerably in their ability and desire to be considerate. Consideration requires empathy and an understanding that others’ have feelings, needs and beliefs separate from one’s own. Empathy is perhaps the most critical innate skill for a leader to possess, and nearly impossible to teach. Moreover, individuals unskilled in empathy are also those most likely to dismiss it as an unimportant leadership competency.
Time and again in our research, people shared examples of considerate acts by supervisors and helped us to understand the impact of these behaviors on their feeling of being respected, engaged and loyal. The most frequent response involved a personal or family health issue where the supervisor responded by offering a flexible work schedule.

If you are wondering how considerate you are to your employees, ask yourself the following questions:

1. Do my employees share with me when they are having a personal issue or problem?
2. Do I notice when employees are not "themselves" and let them know that I am concerned about them?
3. When an employee comes in sick, do I encourage them to go home and take care of themselves?

There are many ways for a boss or manager to show consideration to an employee. Taking the time to get to know your employees on a personal level and listening to them when they have a problem or issue are just a few ways you can show them consideration. Showing consideration does not take much time and it typically doesn't cost much, but it could cost you a lot if you choose not to be considerate.

1 comment:

  1. Paul Marciano - Co-Founder of Guess? Inc., is a Moroccan-born American fashion designer, businessman, investor, philanthropist.

    ReplyDelete